Wednesday, July 31, 2013

"When God Fearing Women Get the Blues"

(Thanks Martina McBride!)
Martina had it right. The song is about a woman done wrong. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. That girl was done wrong by a cheatin' man, and though I could talk about that as well, I won't.

But yesterday? I was done wrong! Several times by several people! Since specifics of that could have me shot, sued or fired, I'll withhold details, but wrong has been done and we can all relate to that!

It's ironic that my previous post was about living present in the moment and the peace that can be obtained my that method. And every word I said was true. I might have forgotten to mention that it's a hard place to stay put sometimes. And also, sometimes people can be pretty mean-spirited right there in your present moment face.

So what I'm saying is that even those of us who are God-fearing, who have righteous intentions, can be challenged by the opposing forces to see if we'll stand firm, dig in our feet, and not be dragged out of peace and into the past's hurts or the future's worry.

I've spent some time in all three camps (past, future, and present moment) in the last 24 hours, so I'm here to tell you it can happen. And does regularly. Nothing good comes without opposition. You seek to offer service, someone perceives it as damage. You say something you think is a beautiful compliment, someone is hurt by your words. You start agonizing over everything you may have done wrong (even if it's unintentional) and worrying about the outcome of situations with people who may or may not have less righteous intent, just plain ignorance, or even vengeance on their minds. And poof! The present moment is out of sight, out of mind. You have the blues, you God-fearing woman you! Just like I did.

The good news is that, you, like I, can choose to step right back into center. Or you could choose to wallow in the blues a little first. The blues got me for a bit, I'll admit. I'm human, but I'm trying. I felt hurt. I felt powerless. I felt I had been dealt with unfairly. I felt angry. And I learned that even though the hurts occurred in a present moment, they immediately became my past and my fears about their outcome became my future. My attention at that moment was yanked right out of the present moment in which I strive to dwell. It can happen in a split second. And it can last for a split second. Or a couple of hours. Or a day...or two. It can have you spinning off balance before you are even aware. During that dance-with-the-blues time, Martina's words describe the sadness, the hurt, the anger, the fire inside, while you fight the battle to get back to the present.

I, like the girl in Martina's song, felt like taking a few people out, hollered a little, cried some and did absolutely no singing. (Not that I sang before that, anyway, but still.) Then I looked to the resources I have set up to bring myself back to center. I prayed. I rested. I took a long bath with scented oils and meditated. I gave the past (though still stinging) hurts to He who has already suffered for them all and surrendered the future to the God who holds all the power over outcomes, the Higher Powers who have my back. I, with divine help, maneuvered myself back into the present moment.

And even though I walked into a painful reminder first thing this morning? I feel peace. The blues are not permanent, nor should they be. But we all sing a few verses once in a while, and that's okay. It's a journey, huh Martina? She knows. She also sang “Blessed” which is totally about the present moment!
(see link below)

http://www.cmt.com/videos/martina-mcbride/59340/blessed.jhtml