Saturday, May 31, 2014

Who needs Lawrence Taylor?



While pondering the adversity in which I currently find myself, I see that I am trying to play offense. I want to be proactive and do everything in my power against the other team: Cancer. (I can't imagine what their mascot must look like...ew). I want to let the other members of my "team" do their jobs (the things I cannot do for myself), and help me trounce my opponent.

It reminds me of a movie, Blind Side, which I love. The film begins with this narration;

“There’s a moment of orderly silence before a football play begins. Players are in position, linemen are frozen, and anything’s possible. Then, like a traffic accident, stuff begins to randomly collide. From the snap of the ball to the snap of the first bone is closer to four seconds than five.

“One Mississippi.

“Joe Theissmann, the Redskins quarterback, takes the snap and hands off to his running back.

“Two Mississippi.

“It’s a trick play, a flea flicker, and the running back tosses the ball back to the quarterback.

“Three  Mississippi.

“Up to now the play’s been defined by what the quarterback sees. It’s about to be defined by what he doesn’t.

“Four Mississippi.

“Lawrence Taylor is the best defensive player in the NFL and has been from the time he stepped onto the field as a rookie. He will also change the game of football as we know it.

(TV Video of the actual play in the background)

“…And we’ll look at it with the reverse angle one more time. And I suggest if your stomach is weak you just don’t watch…Legendary quarterback Joe Theissmann never played another down of football.

“Now y’all would guess that more often than not the highest paid player on an NFL team is the quarterback. And you'd be right. What you probably don't know is that more often than not the second highest paid player is, thanks to Lawrence Taylor, a left tackle. Because, as every housewife knows, the first check is for the mortgage but the second is for the insurance. And the left tackle’s job is to protect the quarterback from what he can’t see coming; to protect his BLIND SIDE. The ideal left tackle is big, but a lot of people are big. He is wide in the butt and massive in the thighs. He has long arms, giant hands and feet quick as a hiccup. This is a rare and expensive combination the need for which can be traced to that Monday night game and Lawrence Taylor. For on that day he not only altered Joe Theissmann’s life, he altered mine.”

So far, every person checking in on my team is altering my life.  I’m thinking about all these people who are expressing their love, offering their gifts, in essence: protecting me, and my own blind side. There is so much I don’t yet know about this thing I have to fight. Lots of things I can't see coming...But doctors, surgeons, oncologists, radiologists, lab techs, nurses and every other medically trained person who will help to cure me will have trained for years, and have even more years in experience. They have a game plan of which I am not yet aware. That’s hard for me as I am a “plan” fanatic. But I am the quarterback, not the coach. And a quarterback does not a whole team make (though some of them might think so.) I have to do my job, trust their duties to them, and know they have my back.

More importantly I have team members, friends and family, who have reached out with their deep wells of love and willing hearts, their strong hands, and their tears quick as a hiccup. I have the power of infinite numbers of prayers. I have been given one Priesthood blessing by my husband when we first found out the mammogram was abnormal, who told me that whatever was wrong would be easy. His patriarchal blessing reveals he has been given the gift of healing.
We are both given Priesthood blessings today that were powerful and specific. My husband is blessed with courage and strength and understanding and the knowledge of how much his Heavenly Father loves him. I was told, unequivocally, that I will be healed, and I will be restored to wholeness; that angels will attend, that more angels than doctors will be at work on me at any given time, and that I am the matriarch of a large family who needs me, and I will live long into the future. The Spirit was powerful and this moment in time will be my fall back when doubt creeps in, as it always does. But I’ll be able to say: No! I had that blessing and I will be restored to wholeness as promised.

With all of these resources working to protect me, how can I fear? There are things I do not yet know…they're on my blind side…but it would appear I have battalions of left tackles.

Looks like me and my left breast are headed to the Super Bowl! Who needs Lawrence Taylor?